January 18, 2013

Toulouse-Lautrec


Only the figure exists, landscape is and should only be an accessory: the pure landscape painter is just crude. The landscape should only be used to better understand the character of the figure.
Yesterday was spent admiring the works of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec at the National Gallery. This is perhaps my favourite exhibit so far. the paintings go without saying, but the viewpoint Lautrec had towards portraiture matched mine exactly. I just never found the right words to describe it. You know the feeling when someone else phrases your thoughts perfectly and it's almost like discovering a genius concept all over again? That's what I felt when I read the quote above.


Pictures: Linden (left) and I (right) in the family activity room, taken by Hania.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

anniesteph: Toulouse-Lautrec

This page has moved to a new address.

Toulouse-Lautrec